Friday, July 31, 2009

Wisdom of my father

My dad was a smartass sometimes, always one to tell a tall tale, but he was honest as the day is long. He'd pull your leg in a heartbeat though. Here's some stuff I learned from him:

As long as the number of days you hate getting up for your job don't outnumber the number of days you either like going to work or at least don't mind it, you're in the right place.

If you want to know your importance to the company, ask for two weeks off one week before you need it. If you can get it, you're not very essential, are you?

If want to find an easier way to do something, hire a lazy man. (I don't necessarily agree with that one)

The man who owns a home and says he has nothing to do is either lazy, crazy, or a liar. I will add "Or he can afford to pay someone to do it for him."

If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing once (and correctly).

The only man who never failed never tried anything. I got so sick of hearing that one when I was in my teens.

Respect is worth more than money, and your word is worth more than respect.

Know yourself and your morals and stick to them.

Monday is a rotten way to spend one-seventh of your life.

The worst thing about mornings is that they come so early in the day.

And my dad's response to my brother when he asked why my dad never went ice-fishing, "By the time it's warm enough for me to go fishing, there's no ice left."

No comments:

Post a Comment